Sunday 9 June 2013

The Collective Passion Fruit Yoghurt

The Packaging

The Protective Plastic Lid Inside - Quite Cheeky

The Yogurt Itself

The Collective was the best selling brand across New Zealand and was started up by two brothers who aimed to create the best tasting yoghurts there are.  After being noticed by a few UK entrepreneurs they were able to expand their business.  It was called The Collective for the simple reason that it is a collective of people involved in the creation!

Price I Paid
I bought this from Ocado for £2.39.  It seems pricey for a yogurt but this is 500g which is enough for about four or so servings!

How to prepare
Keep refrigerated, take off the protective lid and scoop into a bowl.  A problem I had with this yoghurt was that it separated and I ended up with a watery layer on top of it (as you can see in the photo) which was not too appealing. However, I think that is the nature of the product.

Colour
The yogurt istself is slightly off white and the passion fruit sauce on top is bright yellow.

Taste
This is a very strange yoghurt, the texture seems incredibly processed but at the same time I actually found the yoghurt to be a bit gritty.  They claim to produce the yoghurt with a touch of honey so perhaps it has something to do with that. I also was not too keen on having whole passion fruit seeds in a yoghurt as the sudden crunch amongst the nice smooth yoghurt was quite disconcerting!  Having said that, although I really didn't like the texture too much I really did like the flavour, it was much sharper than most yoghurts that you can buy in a store.  This was not just due to the passion fruit topping it was because the yoghurt itself did not seem too sweet to begin with.  The passion fruit flavour was tasty although I found that it was swirled into the yoghurt quite weirdly and alot of this flavour had sunk to the bottom which I only discovered after eating most of it.    

Health benefits
They use free range ingredients in their products and try to source as many of the ingredients possible from the UK.  I think it is fair enough that they outsource their passion fruit though as I have never seen this grown anywhere in the UK! 
From their website these are their promises:
  • suitable for vegetarians
  • free from gluten
  • free from artificial colours
  • free from artificial flavourings
  • free from artificial preservatives
  • pasteurised
The yoghurt also contains three different strains of live cultures to make it taste this way and these cultures are considered by many to be "good bacteria" that prevent too much "bad bacteria" in the digestive system. 

Overall Reaction 
On Ocado this product has only 5 star reviews and taste wise I would have to agree!  Maybe I will try another flavour at some point so I don't have to contend with a watery surface and seeds in my yoghurt!
8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment