Tuesday 11 June 2013

Del Monte Occasions Pineapple Mohito AKA the toothpaste drink


Price I Paid
I bought this from Tesco while there was an offer on for 99p although it normally retails at £1.99.  I was pretty proud of myself for getting a litre of juice for 99p although this slightly smug feeling quickly disappeared leaving me feeling more like a mug!

How to prepare
I put this in the fridge for a few hours and then just poured it into a glass.  There are serving suggestions and they recommend that you add some soda or tonic water if you want a little fizz.  They also suggest a recipe for making this into an alcoholic mohito cocktail.  Take a sprig of mint and crush it to release the essential oils, crush some ice and add a little lemon.  Then add a shot of white rum and add the juice!

Colour
The colour was inbetween lime green and yellow looked quite a strange colour actually it wasn't too appealing. Alarm bells were ringing in my mind before I even tasted it.

Taste
It is a pineapple, lime, lemon, grape and mint concoction and the mint flavour is very strong so this is one to avoid like the plague if you aren't too keen on mint.  Luckily I love mint and mohitos are my favourite cocktails! I was actually very disappointed with this drink as normally on nights out in London it is easy to get hold of delicious cocktails made with fresh juices.  This reminded me of the taste of some of the awful premixed bottles of cocktails I have found in most places in Leicester.  In fact, frequently in Leicester I have found that cocktail mixes have come in squeezy tubes which absolutely horrifies me.  It is not that I am a complete cocktail snob but if I am going to pay a premium for a cocktail I at least expect something fresh and tasty!  I certainly wouldn't buy this again as the mint tasted more of a kind of toothpaste freshmint than real fresh mint.  It really would have been much better if i had just bought pineapple juice and mint leaves and mixed them together myself.  I couldn't taste any of the other flavours anyway.

Smell
Smelt like pineapple and toothpaste.

Health benefits
The ingredients just list fruit concentrate and "flavourings" an ambiguous term that I absolutely hate.  Why would you require unnamed flavourings in a fruit juice?  I noticed that mint was not actually a listed anywhere as an ingredient and this is probably why I think this drink tastes like the same flavourings of mint they put in my toothpaste.

Overall Reaction 
Absolutely awful I never want to be subjected to this monstrosity again in my entire life. Revolting.
0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment