Monday 27 May 2013

What to do with a brown avocado?




The Mixture






Price I Paid
I would guess the actual cost of the mask would be about 25p but the avocados came in a pack of 4 that cost about £1.50.  

How to Make
This is really simple to make.  You just need to thoroughly mash up half an avocado with the back of a spoon/a fork, I think it is best to use one that is slightly over-ripe so that it is soft enough to mash.  Make sure you really mash it up though so that it becomes a smooth paste because otherwise it will be very hard to spread over your face.  I used an avocado that had unfortunately gone brown on one side and didn't look very appealing to eat at all and I would otherwise have binned.  
Don't leave the mask out as avocados go brown very quickly once they have been opened it is best to make this mask just before you use it.
You could add a teaspoonful of honey as that has great antibacterial properties or a teaspoon of natural yoghurt as the probiotics in that are good for your skin.  Another option is to add a teaspoon full of oats or any small seeds to make it into a slightly exfoliating facemask.

Application
I just used the palm of my had to rub it round my face in circular motions.  Keep in mind that if you have not mashed it smoothly enough it will not go down a bathroom sink when you wash it off so you might have to use the kitchen one.  Just be careful not to get it too close to your eyes and I would recommend tying your hair back.  I couldn't find a hair tie so I kept it back with my glasses as you can see.

Colour
An impressive looking bright green as you can see from the picture!  At any rate if you don't use it all up as a face mask you could always wear the rest to a costume/halloween party and go as Shrek (with the added bonus that it would turn brown after a few hours and you would get an interesting costume change too)!

Smell
Smelt like an avocado, surprisingly.

Overall Reaction 
After washing this mask off I noticed that my skin did feel very slightly oily but very thoroughly moisturised.  Avocados contain alot of natural oil which is great for moisturising skin and also contains omega-3 which is supposed to protect skin from some of the sun's harmful UV rays throughout the day aswell.  It also contains a large amount of vitamin E which is known for it's antioxidant properties and absorbing free radicals which cause damage to the skin.  My skin felt incredibly smooth after using it and it would be great for people with dry or combination skin.  Although I think this is a mask that anyone with very oily or blemish prone skin should steer clear of.  While making this mask I got alot on my hands and they now also feel very soft so you could consider using it as a hand mask for dry skin aswell!

I would rate this mask 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment