Friday 16 August 2013

Easy Banana Muffins



Price I paid/Ingredients
1 egg - £1.50 for a box
1 cup of caster sugar - £1 for a whole bag
2-3 tablespoons of butter/margarine - £1 a small tub 
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence - 79p for a jar
1.5 cups of self raising flour - £1 for a huge bag
A splash of milk - 49p for a small bottle
2-3 bananas depending on how "bananarey" you like them
Cupcake/muffin cases
Cupcake tray
Saucepan
Pre-heated oven to 150 degrees

How to Prepare
1. Add the butter (or if you forget to buy butter I successfully used Bertolli spreadable butter with a hint of olive) to a saucepan and heat at the lowest possible gas setting until melted
2. Add the caster sugar to the saucepan, if it starts to bubble at all you need to take it off the heat until it settles.  You want the sugar to melt just a little bit and mix with the butter.
3. Mash the bananas up well with a fork and then add them to the saucepan.
4. Add the vanilla essence and egg.
5. Add the flour, mix thoroughly. If the mixture looks very thick you can add a little splash of milk but be careful not to add so much it becomes watery it should be thick like cream cheese consistency.
6. Put the cupcake cases into the tray and use a spoon to half fill each cupcake case with mix.  Use as many as you need until you run out.
7. Put in the oven on 150 degrees, it should take about 20-25 mins to cook although watch them and take them out when the tops start to look a golden brown colour.
8. Take them out the oven when ready, let them cool and then serve!

Note:  I considered icing them but I felt like it would ruin the banana flavour.

Taste
I added two bananas to my mix and I found this to be plenty, they tasted yummy and quite strongly of banana.  I think these would make a great, quick breakfast snack!

Smell
The smell filled up my whole house which is my favourite thing about cooking!

Overall Reaction
I would definitely make these again. They were incredibly fast to make it took me 5 mins to mix all the ingredients together and get them in the oven.  Then just the time waiting for them to cook. 
10/10

p.s Sorry I haven't been very consistent in posting recently, I have been very busy with holidays etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment